Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Mexican Lasagna

This recipe is from one of my new favorite cookbooks which I found at the library and must buy!
It's the Gooseberry Patch Family Favorite Recipes book.

1/2 lb ground mild pork sausage
1/2 lb ground beef
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (I used 1/2 b/c of the kids)
2/3 c. canned diced tomatoes with green chiles (I used the whole can)
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
can of cream of celery soup (thinking about omitting this next time??)
can of cream of mushroom soup (wondering if you can replace cream soups with something more healthy??)
10 oz can of enchilada sauce
18 (6 inch) tortillas
2 c. shredded cheddar (I used about 1/2 of that)
1 c. shredded monterey jack cheese
1 tomato, seeded and diced
4 green onions, chopped
1/4 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
optional: 1 avocado, chopped

Cook sausage and ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain. Stir in jalapeno and next 5 ingred. Cook until thoroughly heated.
Stir together soups and enchilada sauce in a saucepan; cook until thoroughly heated.
Spoon 1/3 of the sauce into bootom of a lightly greased 13 by 9 baking dish, top with 6 tortillas. Spoon 1/2 of meat mixture and 1/3 of sauce over tortillas. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the cheddar cheese. Top with 6 tortillas, repeat layers, ending with tortillas. Sprinkle with monterey jack cheese and next 3 ingred. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Top with avocado if desired. Serves 6 to 8.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know about the celery soup... but I make my own mushroom sauce for green bean casserole instead of using the soup. It's easy... chopped mushrooms sauted and chicken broth (homemade) with cream/ milk and all thickened. I can share the recipe if you like or you could browse online and find something I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete