Monday, January 26, 2009

Chalupa- Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook

3 lb pork roast
1 lb dry pinto beans
2 garlic cloves, minced (I used the jar kind)
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp dried oregano
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp salt
4-oz can chopped green chilies
water

1. Cover beans with water and soak overnight in slow cooker

2. In the morning, remove beans (reserve soaking water), and put roast in bottom of slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients (including the beans and their soaking water) and more water if needed to cover all the ingredients.

3. Cook on High for 1 hour, and then on Low for 6 hours. Remove meat and shred with 2 forks. Return meat to slow cooker.

4. Cook on High for 1 more hour

5. Serve over a bed of lettuce. Top with grated cheese and chopped tomatoes and onions.

I was going to make this a long time ago. Then when I got to the store and realized how much a pork roast costs, I changed my mind. Months later I noticed the recipe again and it sounded really yummy so I decided to just do it anyway. Trust me- it is SO worth it!! This is such a delicious meal and it makes A LOT. So tonight we're having some of the frozen leftovers.
I served it with corn tortillas. And of course my favorite bagged shredded lettuce. We had it for dinner one night and I had enough left to freeze 3 containers- one large and 2 small. The large one will be for our dinner tonight. I gave one of the small ones to my mom for a meal for her and my dad and I still have the other small one.

3 comments:

  1. This looks delicious, I'm going to have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I'm new to your blogs and am really enjoying them...just wanted to share a tip about pork roast. Mexicans often cook with a pork shoulder or butt roast (boneless or bone in). This is a cheap, fatty piece of meat that has to be slow-cooked..so perfect for the crock. I often use it for "carnitas" (pork tacos) and grill it in the summer for pulled pork. It is delicious and very cheap..hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of our favorites, been making it for years!

    ReplyDelete