Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Chicken and corn quesadillas- my own

1 can of chicken (aprox 10 ounces)
1 can of corn
1 can of green chiles (chopped)
1 can of white beans
dash of cumin- or two or three
about a Tbsp of mayo
shredded cheddar or mexican blend cheese
16 Corn and/or flour tortillas (the small ones)


This is a great way to hide some beans from my kids- stick them in a food processor and make them creamy by adding the mayo (you could use a little bit of milk, but I'm trying to reduce dairy). Also add the cumin to give it a little smokiness. Using this bean mixture helps to make the quesadillas creamy without using a ton of cheese. You can also add a can of diced tomatoes if you want.

Mix everything together (well, not the tortillas obviously!). Butter one side of each tortilla. Put half of the tortillas butter side down on a large griddle, cover with the mixture, and top with a tortilla (buttered side up). I'm pretty sure that was totally not necessary to explain, but just in case, there you have it. Cook until they're a little brown and crispy then try to flip them without losing all the filling and cook to brown and crispy on the other side. Cut in slices like a pizza and top with salsa or taco sauce, sour cream, and my favorite- shredded lettuce. I'm talking about the finely shredded lettuce you buy that way- I love it!

What I'd do differently next time:
Use less beans. For two reasons. One being that we had chili the night before- YIKES. And also because the filling mixture was kind of messy and not quite cheesy enough. The kids all loved it, but if Pete had been home for dinner I'm sure he'd agree that half the beans would have been better.

No comments:

Post a Comment