Thursday, January 29, 2009

Italian Beef- Fix- It and Forget-It

This is called Carol's Italian Beef and if you have the cookbook it's on page 129.

3-4 lb lean rump roast
2 tsp salt, divided
4 garlic cloves
2 tsp Romano or Parmesan cheese, divided
12 oz can beef broth
1 tsp dried oregano

1. Place roast in slow cooker. Cut 4 slits in top of roast. Fill each slit with 1/2 tsp salt, 1 garlic clove, and 1/2 tsp cheese.
2. Pour broth over meat. Sprinkle with oregano.
3. Cook on low 10-12 hours or high 4-6 hours.
4. Remove meat and slice or shred. Serve on buns with meat juices on the side.

I think this is the most flavorful italian beef I've ever had. I don't exactly measure the ingredients- just make some slits and stuff them full of that good stuff. Last time I doubled it and cooked it over night. Then I had a lot for the freezer which is what we had tonight. We like to have peppers on ours- like pepperoncini's or banana pepper rings.

1 comment:

  1. Try this with the Italian Beef in the crockpot -- as you pour everything in with the roast, add some "juice" from the pepperoncini jar. Just a couple of tablespoons - not enough to dry out the peppers or anything. MMMmmmm! Just puts that little extra in the flavor.
    This is why I started canning my own peppers each summer. I pickle yellow banana peppers in those little 1/2 pint jelly jars. Then in the winter, when we need Italian Beef, I just toss the contents of one of those small jars of peppers in the crockpot with the roast.

    ReplyDelete