Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Chili- my own

This is a winter staple for sure. I'd serve it once a week, but I've been told that's too often. We probably eat it twice a month in the winter though. The great thing about chili is it's hard to mess it up. I KNOW there are fancier recipes out there, but I love the simplicity of this one!

1 pound of ground beef
1 tsp of minced garlic (from a jar)
cumin
chili powder
salt
pepper
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans
1/2 jar salsa
1 can tomato soup
1 can water

I brown the beef in a large pot, along with the garlic and the seasonings (I don't measure, I just eye them). Drain the grease. Then open those cans and throw everything in! Sometimes I put it all in the crock pot. Other times I put it all together and we eat when it's heated through. Our favorite side is corn bread (especially from Trader Joe's when we can get our hands on some), but we also like to eat it with baked potatoes and some broccoli. This recipe makes enough for my family with a little bit leftover, but my kids don't eat huge bowls. We also like to top it with sour cream and cheese- pepper jack is great for those who like some extra kick!

No comments:

Post a Comment